Environmentally-friendly features sparkle at Lakeside Park
On Tuesday, June 12 at 11:30 a.m. Lakeside Park in Mississauga reopens with a touch of green. Mayor Hazel McCallion and Members of Council will show off some of the new green features in the park at the official re-opening. Park tours will take place following the ceremony highlighting the exciting features of the park.
The environmentally-friendly features at the park include:
- A bio-retention swale which allows storm water to percolate into the ground
- LED lighting to use less energy in the spray pad area and washrooms
- The use of re-purposed water from the spray pad for irrigation
- The existing natural area by Lakeside Creek was preserved and expanded by 50 per cent
- The preservation of the existing cobble beach and natural shoreline provides habitat for wildlife
- A pervious concrete parking lot which allows water to percolate into the ground reducing storm water run-off
Lakeside Park is one of five priority parks that were identified for development and redevelopment through the City of Mississauga’s 2008 Waterfront Parks Strategy. The 25-acre park’s amenities include: multi-use trails; a themed playground; spray pad; viewing mound; leash free zone; and an open lawn area for events.
Lakeside Park is located at 2268 Lakeshore Road West, Mississauga.